This troop was formed by a group of Philadelphia gentlemen on November 17, 1774. Many were businessmen and merchants who supplied their own uniforms, military equipment and horses. The flag was contributed to the unit by Captain Markoe, it was designed by John Folwell and painted by James Claypoole. The British Union was originally painted in the canton but the artist was instructed to paint thirteen stripes to represent the united colonies.
It was this troop that escorted General Washington from Philadelphia to take command of the Continental Army, assembled at Cambridge outside of Boston in June, 1775. The Light Horse Troop later carried their flag in the Battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Princeton and Trenton. .
3x5 foot, two grommet 150 Denure Polyester Construction with 4 Rows of stitching where it counts, on the fly end.