Missouri Civil War battle flag.
Prior to the Vicksburg Campaign, the Missouri units of the old "Army of the West" received presents of new battle flags that they carried into the siege with them. These flags were rectangular, consisting of a dark blue bunting field with a red bunting border on three sides and a white cotton "Latin" cross standing in near the staff edge. At some time in 1863 or 1864 very similar flags were presented to the five units of Burns' Missouri Brigade serving in the Trans-Mississippi Department.
Flag of the 9th Battalion Missouri Sharpshooters by Wayne J. Lovett from detailed sketches and notes of Howard M. Madaus Records of two of these five flags survive. That of the 16th Missouri Infantry is 36" on its staff by 50" on its fly, with a 4" wide red border on three sides and a white Latin cross 24" high and 15" across its cross bar made from 4" wide white cotton in the staff half of the field. A similar flag survives for the 9th Battalion (Pindall's 1st) Missouri Sharpshooters, another element of Burns' Brigade. This flag measures 34" on its staff by 47" on its fly, inclusive of the 4" wide red border on three sides. Its white Latin cross is somewhat smaller than that of the 16th Infantry's, measuring only 20" high and 14 1/2" across its cross arm. The width of the material forming the cross averages 4".
The other three units of Burns' Brigade to receive these flags were the 10th, the 11th, and the 12th Missouri Infantry regiments. According to surviving documents, all five flags were made in New Orleans by ladies loyal to the Confederacy and smuggled through the lines to give to General Sterling Price.
High quality 3x5 foot, two grommet 150 denure polyester construction with four rows of stitching on the fly side.